Monday, March 2, 2009

Baby Fever Week Top 3 Suggested Reads

There are so many pregnancy and childbirth books out there that it will make your head spin! I'm here to break it down for you. There were 3 books that I found completley essential to my newborn preparations, and one was immensely helpful after the fact. So here are my top 3 pregnancy book recs.

1. What to Expect When You're Expecting - I found this to be the most comprehensive pregnancy book out there. If I had a question about what was normal at each stage, or wanted to know what to expect at my next appointment, or felt the need to make something healthy to eat, this book had it. With everything from the description of aches and pains, to the symptoms of every dreaded pregnancy illness possible, this book had it all. Some of their suggestions are over the top, and I think 99% of the people who read it wouldn't follow, but all in all this was the most informational.

2. Birthing From Within - This was my MUST have book. I read it over and over while I was pregnant. I made reminder cards for DH from their suggestions. This book helps teach you how to prepare to be in labor. I wanted to try for an unmedicated birthing experience, and, even though I was given pitocin, I made it to 8cm without the use of pain meds. I fully attribute that to the techniques I learned in this book. And, just for reference, I was begging for the epidural at 2cm with my first! There are ways to practice the techniques, alternatives for each method... hands down my favorite childbirth book!

3. So That's What They're For - This was such a funny, down to earth, REAL book. It was like having a girlfriend walk you through the ins and outs, and ups and downs that are involved in breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is the way our babies were meant to be fed. It's why we have breasts! With my first, my milk dried up, almost overnight, at 6 months. I didn't have the knowledge to combat it, and so we just went straight in to formula. I was heartbroken, and knew that from the second I got pregnant with #2 that I would be preparing myself. This book gave me all of the how-to knowledge, as well as prepared me for every and any what-if I might face. My youngest and I breastfed for a year, until he self weaned. Total success!

I hope you buy these books, because they were invaluable to me. If you have any questions about them, just shoot me an email at info@grabbagreviews.com

Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

2 comments:

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

If I may, I would love to suggest Baby Lists. I got this book a few weeks ago and did a review for it...5 stars all the way.

Shannon said...

I love What to Expect. I also really loved Your Pregnancy Week by Week. Good books and good friends are what gets you through a pregnancy.

 
Clicky Web Analytics

Blog Design By Lindsey Joy Design © All Rights Reserved.